Saturday, January 14, 2012

Canon 580EX I Repair

We all know how much our gear costs and some of us depend on it to make a living.

I broke my Canon 580EX I speedlite's foot one drunken night in NYC, with a small amount of cash and good old google, I was able to fix it in under 20 minutes.

This time around, I lost the locking pin and spring so I'm hoping this helps some people out there.

Here's a link to the parts for the flash:
http://www.strappe.com/pics/manuals/photography/Speedlite%20580EX.pdf

Here are the instructions I first used to fix it:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/2007/05/31/repairing-the-canon-580ex-hotshoe-foot/

Note, if you swap the sets of screws used to remove the foot and used to hold the small circuit board down, your flash may come apart at the foot as the screws are SLIGHTLY different in size yet still 'screw in'. This is actually how I lost the locking pin.

Dial direct: 732-521-7230
For the plastic foot, request part # CY2-1227-000

For other parts, refer to the pdf and find what you need.

Disclaimer, I take zero responsibility if you damage your flash. It's very simple but you can still screw things up royally. Make sure you remove the batteries before opening the flash up.

-ian

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Ian

In the past year, I've shot everything from landscapes, engagement sessions, weddings, and events. The majority were unpaid and I'm not quite looking to get paid... Yet. Feel free to ask questions or provide feedback about the blog and/or my pictures.

Thanks,

Ian

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP